About this guide
Understanding the different mortgage types and lender jargon can be daunting when buying a house, but we’re here to help. Compare My Move’s team of property experts have covered everything from the mortgage basics to what credit score you need for a mortgage in our in-depth mortgage and house deposit guide.
Before applying for a mortgage and getting together your house deposit, you must first understand the mortgage basics. Our guide begins with a detailed look at what is a mortgage, from explaining what loan-to-value means, to how to apply for a mortgage, our team of experts cover everything.
Once you have an understanding of what to expect with your mortgage, you must then explore the different types of mortgage and which one will suit you best. Throughout our mortgages and deposits guide, we will explore a range of mortgage types and their advantages and disadvantages, from offset mortgages to cashback mortgages.
If you’re moving house or just looking to save some money on your mortgage payments, you might consider remortgaging as an option. In our mortgages and deposits guide, we will look at when is a good time to remortgage and whether changing lenders might help get you a better deal on your mortgage.
Once you’ve read up about your options and learned what the best mortgage is for your situation, we’ll take an in-depth look at each type of mortgage to further help with your research. We begin by exploring standard variable rate mortgage, looking at how the rate is set all the way to when it’s best to be on a SVR.
By having all the important information in one place, with a focus on what is a mortgage, the different types of mortgage, what is remortgaging and what is a standard variable rate mortgage, you will be fully prepared. Once you’ve completed this guide, we hope you’ll feel confident about mortgages and deposits.
- Compare My Move have put together this guide featuring everything you should know about mortgages. From what is a mortgage to how to apply for a mortgage, we've covered everything.Read this article
- Review the different types of mortgages available, the pros and cons and who they’re best suited for.Read this article
- You will require a mortgage valuation to ensure the property is worth the amount you will be paying for it.Read this article
- This guide will look at everything you need to know about remortgaging, reviewing how and when you should plan to remortgage and what you need to prepare.Read this article
- A standard variable rate mortgage is a type of mortgage where the interest on your mortgage repayments is set at your lender’s standard variable rate (SVR).Read this article
- Interest-only mortgages allow you to pay back interest each month and not capital. You’ll pay back the full value of your home at the end of the mortgage loan.Read this article
- A Guarantor Mortgage could be the financial solution for you when purchasing a house whilst lacking the required deposit or credit history.Read this article
- A 95% mortgage is a type of mortgage that only requires a 5% deposit, meaning you will borrow 95% of the property price to purchase the home.Read this article
- Compare My Move have reviewed how lenders view zero-hour contacts, looking at ways to improve your chances of approval and preparing your application to get a mortgage when on a zero-hour contract.Read this article
- It is possible to get a mortgage when you’re over 50, but you may face stricter lending criteria and a shorter repayment period. In this guide, we will explain everything you need to know about getting a mortgage if you’re over 50, from the lending criteria to the types of mortgage.Read this article
- Our guide covers all you need to know about deposits including budgeting and saving tips so you’re prepared to save for a deposit to buy your first home.Read this article
- Have you ever wondered what type of credit score you need to buy a house? Although there is no ideal score Compare My Move has everything you need to know about the credit checks done by mortgage lenders and how you can improve your credit score before starting your mortgage application.Read this article
- This detailed guide will help you prepare for mortgage affordability checks as well as working out how much mortgage you can afford to borrow.Read this article
- This guide will take you through the application process step by step so that you’re prepared to begin the house-buying process.Read this article
- Once you have secured a mortgage, you are given a limited time for which the offer is valid to complete the property purchase. Usually, this is 3-6 months from the time the mortgage is offered.Read this article
- Our guide explains the purpose of a mortgage agreement in principle, why it is an important aspect of the home buying process and how you can prepare.Read this article
- If you don’t fit their lending criteria, it’s possible that your bank or building society could reject your mortgage application. Compare My Move explain the many reasons why your mortgage application could be declined.Read this article
- This guide will tell you what you need to know about Gifted Mortgage Deposits, including the logistics, legalities and best practice.Read this article
- To help you prepare for your mortgage interview, we go through all the different questions you could be asked along with some great tips to get the most from your mortgage advisor.Read this article
- This guide will review the role of a mortgage broker, how a broker could help with your mortgage application and if you need a mortgage broker.Read this article
- A mortgage redemption statement is a document provided by your current mortgage lender telling you exactly how much you need to pay to redeem (pay off) your mortgage in full.Read this article