Compare House Removals

Save 70% off the cost of your house move today!

Compare My Move Fact-Checking Standards

The Compare My Move team follows strict guidelines to ensure that every piece of content is accurate, trust-worthy and adheres to the highest standard of quality. Each article is expertly reviewed by members of our author panel before being published to promote accurate and quality content.

All Compare My Move articles adhere to the following standards:

  • Expertly reviewed - Our articles are reviewed by an industry expert with in-depth knowledge and experience of the article topic.
  • Data supported - All statistics, research and data must link or reference to the original source.
  • Accuracy - All research and data are taken from high-quality, trustworthy and authoritative sources.
  • Quality checked - Our content writers ensure every Compare My Move article is written to the highest of standard.

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Zenyx Griffiths

Written by Reviewed by Dave Sayce

14th Aug 2019 (Last updated on 4th Jan 2021) 3 minute read

Public Liability insurance is an insurance that your removal company should have to cover you and your personal belongings for the duration of the move. Whilst it's not a legal requirement, any reputable removal company will be insured with both Public Liability and Goods in Transit insurance.

Not only will it give you complete peace of mind, it will show that the removal company will treat your personal belongings with great care and consideration. It should be noted, at Compare My Move, it's part of our verification process that every partner must have Public Liability insurance along with Goods in Transit.

We've put together this guide on everything you should know about Public Liability insurance.

Compare Local Removal Companies
This article will cover the following:
  1. What is Public Liability Insurance?
  2. Why Do You Need Public Liability Insurance?
  3. What is Covered During Your House Removal?
  4. How to Dispute Damages or Injury

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Public liability insurance is a policy which covers the costs of injury to any member of the public, including yourself and friends or family helping you move house. It also covers the cost of any damaged or lost items during the move. All trusted removal companies should be covered with Public Liability insurance. 

Public Liability insurance will cover:

  • Compensation due to injury or even death of a member of the public. It's unlikely that you will have to make a claim, but this type of insurance will cover the cost of hospital treatment for anyone injured.
  • Compensation due to damage of a property or possessions. This covers the cost of repairing the damage caused.
Compare Removal Company Costs
Save up to 70% on Your Removal Costs

Why Do You Need Public Liability Insurance?

All our partners work to strict safety regulations, it's unlikely that you will need to make a claim. However, having public liability insurance in place ensures you should be compensated in the event of injury or property damage up to the cost of £3 million.

The value of this does differ to company to company but you can expect a figure of £1-£3 million pounds. You can ask your removal company about this if you want more information or if you're concerned about injury and property damage.

What is Covered During Your House Removal?

Under public liability insurance, the policy will cover anything from scratches to wall damage to both yours or public property. It also covers any injuries to members of the public during the move.

Compare the Best Removal Companies
Save up to 70% on Your Removal Costs

How to Dispute Damages or Injury

Take pictures of your injury and the scene of the incident where relevant. You should also write down the names and contact details of eye witnesses and keep any evidence of doctors visits and any injury related costs. Contact your removal company and let them know about your injuries and where it took place; they will then make a log of the incident.

You will have up to three years from the date of the accident to file a claim. You should get in contact with your solicitor as soon as possible and hand over any supporting evidence. Your claim will be settled in a claims court, or out of court with your removal company. Your solicitor will be able to advise you on further proceedings and the best action to take to support your claim.

At Compare My Move, we pride ourselves on working with only trusted removal companies to offer you the best moving experience. While we are adamant that your removal company will take the utmost care during your move, we aim to ensure complete safety for you and your belongings during the relocation period.

Zenyx Griffiths

Before Compare My Move, Zenyx once wrote lifestyle and entertainment articles for the online magazine, Society19 as well as news articles for Ffotogallery.

Dave Sayce

Reviewed by Dave Sayce

Co-Founder and Director, Compare My Move

Dave Sayce is the co-founder and director of Compare My Move and has over 10 years of experience in the house removals industry.