A Commercial Move Timeline
So you've bought a new business premises, you have a moving day and the removals firm is booked thanks to our comparison tool. Now it's time to get organised! Your move is just a few weeks away.
Here is a handy checklist to help you prepare:
With a Month to go:
- If you're currently renting, notify the landlord of your intended move.
- Obtain a floor plan of your new office.
- Plan a proposed furniture layout, paying attention to where computers can be plugged in.
- Source and order any required office additions, such as furniture or machinery.
- Obtain quotes and arrange for any redecorating or maintenance jobs.
- Make sure the proposed office layout meets health and safety requirements.
- Notify internet, telephone and utility providers of the switch in premises.
- Give your employees the new address.
- Notify your insurance provider of your move of premises and obtain extra cover for move day (just in case).
- Book extra storage space, such as a storage locker, if required.
With a Week to go:
- Evaluate the new location to see if there are any special move requirements, such as parking space, stairs or other people using the building.
- Notify all customers and clients of the move and your new address.
- Label all computer equipment with named stickers, to identify ownership and where things will need to go.
- Use coloured stickers to tell movers what items need to go in each new room.
- Start packing items that you do not require on a daily basis.
- Sell or donate items that you do not use and will not be taking with you.
- Have any new machinery or appliances PAT tested.
- Notify the post office of your move, so any mail sent to the old address can be redirected.
With a Day to go:
- Clean furniture, machinery and any other items before you pack them.
- Pack last minute items.
- Create an inventory of everything that will be moving with you.
- Back up all electronic data.
- Stock up on spare extension cables.
- Confirm the old and new address with the office removals firm.
- Have a team meeting and make sure all staff know the protocol for moving.
On the Day:
- Make sure everything is packed and ready for the movers.
- Ensure all windows and doors are locked before you leave the old premises and hand over the keys.
- Change the security alarm code in the new premises.
- Find out where the main circuit breaker and water shut off tap is.
- Get the locks changed.
- Give both the old and new buildings a thorough clean.
Print this checklist out and use it to make sure you don't forget anything when you move. Tick things off and even add jobs to it if you like. The best of luck with your move! Let us know how it goes.
Last updated on Monday 21st August 2017