Choosing the Right Damp Proofing Specialists

Choosing the Right Damp Proofing Specialists

Written by Katie Cullen
Written by Katie Cullen
19th September 2017 (Last updated on Monday 9th April 2018)

Damp is an ever growing problem for all property owners across the UK so ensuring that you find the best damp specialist is essential to stopping damp as soon as possible. If the damp is present on walls or floors that are not treated in your property this may lead to severe structural damage.

Here are some useful tips from 'Timberwise' to help you through the process of choosing the right damp proofing specialist when Moving House:

Are they PCA Registered?

The Property Care Association is the trade association representing timber, damp and waterproofing specialists across the United Kingdom. Members of the PCA can be trusted to rectify problems with affected buildings, by employing industry certified surveyors and technicians to uphold challenging standards.

When choosing a Property Care Specialist, first on your agenda should be finding out if they are recommended by a reputable governing body. By choosing a surveyor who is part of the Property Care Association, you can rest assured that they have undergone rigorous checks to achieve and retain a membership.

Look for a Company with Plenty of Experience

Look for a contractor who has plenty of experience in damp and who specialises in diagnosing and working with damp on a day to day basis. Looking at damp surveyor who has been working for a long period of time and if the company has good customer reviews on review sites.

There is a difference between choosing a builder than a damp specialist. General builders, on one hand, may be good at fixing guttering or repairing roofing after the damp has been correctly diagnosed. The advantage of a damp proofing specialist is that they can find the root of the problem by telling you whether there are signs of rising damp, penetrating damp or condensation. These damp issues can be then treated appropriately.

As well as looking at customer feedback, case studies of previous work by the company is helpful to see the company’s success stories. 

Does the Damp Proofing Company Know their Stuff?

By looking at the experience of the surveyors is one thing but understanding if they are skilled and qualified is essential when carrying out a survey. At Timberwise, our surveyors undertake thorough training to gain wither a recognised CRST or CSSW qualification.

A Certified Surveyor in Remedial Treatment (CRST) will be efficient and know how to complete the job effectively as they have the knowledge and understanding that is required. The Certified Surveyor in Structural Waterproofing is a recognised qualification that means significant competency in waterproofing to a high level.

Be Present at The Survey

When you do arrange a survey with a company it might be a good idea to be present at the survey so you can better understand how thorough the examination is. It will also give you chance to ask any questions about any issues as they find them.  

Making the Right Decision

By using the tips mentioned in this article, you will hopefully be able to come to the right decision on finding the best damp proof specialist to fix your damp related issues associated with your property.

Timberwise have over 45 experience in property care preservation and are Which? Trusted Traders and members of the PCA. If you would like to find out more information about Timberwise then call 0800 288 8660 or visit the website.

Compare the best removal companies