Joining The British Association of Removers
The British Association of Removers (BAR) is the recognised voice of the professional moving and storage industry in the UK.
For over a century, the BAR has been dedicated to promoting professional excellence in the removals industry and is now at the forefront of developing and maintaining professional standards and services for the benefit of its members and their customers.
BAR’s membership criteria ensure that all members work to the BAR Code of Practice, which is the only code in the moving industry that’s approved and monitored by the Trading Standards Institute.
Being a BAR member will set you apart from your competitors and reassure your customers you can be trusted. In this article, Compare My Move take a look at everything you need to know about joining the BAR, from the code of practice to why it is vital to become a member.
Why is the BAR Important?
The BAR is extremely important as it sets standards for UK removal companies as well as acting as security for those who want to make a complaint about their experience with a company.
It’s important for removal companies to join the BAR because it will make your company stand out from your competitors. When customers are comparing removal companies, they will look for the BAR logo and know the company can be trusted and works to a high standard of rules and regulations.
What type of BAR Memberships are there?
There are two types of BAR membership to choose from, BAR Membership and International Associates. Below we have broken down each membership:
1. BAR Membership
BAR Membership is open to UK businesses trading in the removal industry.
2. International Associates
International Associate Membership is open to non-UK businesses trading in the removal industry.
What is the Criteria to Join the BAR?
You must have been up and running as a removal company for 12 months before you can join the BAR.
To join, you must first fill out the pre-application assessment and answer questions to form part of the requirements of the BAR Membership Criteria. If you’re successful with the pre-application assessment, then you will be provided with the full Membership Criteria as part of the application stage.
The initial joining form asks some of the following questions which make up the criteria:
- Are your staff paid through PAYE?
- Do you hold an Operator’s Licence/employ a person holding a Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)?
- Do you have at least £2M Public Liability insurance in place?
- Do you have at least £5M Employer’s Liability insurance in place?
- Do you have documented staff training records and an induction procedure in place?
If you are interested in joining the BAR, fill out the pre-application checklist here.
What is the BAR Code of Practice?
The BAR’s code of practice is a set of rules that removal and storage companies must follow to keep their membership. All BAR members must abide by their code of practice at all times which is as follows:
- Meet a high standard of service at all times
- All advertisement must be clear, legal and true
- Must provide customers with a clear contract
- Must have insurance against loss or damage to items
- The quality of the materials they use
- The standards of vehicles and warehouses they use
- Staff training requirements
- What happens if something goes wrong/cancellation policy
To ensure that members consistently demonstrate their commitment to the association’s high professional standards, they are also subject to an extensive independent annual inspection and have access to a comprehensive online learning programme.
To learn more, read the full BAR Code of Practice.
Why Should Removal Companies Join?
When removal companies choose to join BAR, their customers can be assured that they are using a reputable, professional and safe removal company, and in the unlikely event that something goes wrong, they will have somewhere to turn.
The BAR offers members a wide range of benefits and resources specifically designed to support and develop their business in the industry, including:
- Accreditation and certification of service levels
- Use of their logo to reassure customers
- Free marketing materials to promote their business
- Exclusive partnerships and affiliate services
- Networking opportunities
- Free advice from professional advisers
- The chance to win the Domestic Mover of the Year (DMotY) award which recognises outstanding performance, commitment, leadership and best practice within the industry
In addition to this, the BAR TSI Code of Practice offers members access to an Independent Alternative Dispute Resolution Scheme, an organisation that offers an independent conciliation and adjudication service to solve conflicts should they arise. BAR also offers its members legal protection through its Primary Authority Scheme.
Grow Your Business with Compare My Move
At Compare My Move, we think that BAR does excellent work to raise standards in our industry. However, it’s important to remember that there are plenty of legitimate removals companies that aren’t accredited by a professional association.
At Compare My Move, we have a thorough verification process that ensures that our network only consists of the very best professional movers. Our team work hard to only handpick the very best removals companies in the country.
Compare My Move generate high-quality and real-time removal leads for our partners. We’ll even give you free leads when you join and make your first purchase. For more information, register your company here.