Compare Homebuyer Surveys in Cambridge

Save up to 70% off your surveying costs
Regulated Property Surveyors
Used by over 750,000 movers in the UK
Used by over 750,000 movers in the UK
Helping people save for over 10 years
Save up to 70% on the cost of moving

Moving House in Cambridge? Save Up To 70% On Your RICS Level 2 Survey

Looking for a surveyor in the University city of Cambridge? In the last year, we have helped over 500 home buyers find a property surveyor in this part of eastern England in the last year.

A Cambridge property surveyor will be able to complete a report on the property you are looking to buy, making note of any concerns, such as subsidence or Japanese Knotweed. If you are purchasing one of Cambridge's historic homes, a RICS Level 3 Survey is highly recommended. More modern homes are best suited to a RICS Level 2 Survey.

Our dedicated team can match you with up to 6 RICS registered property surveyors, all of which have been through our strict verification process. This ensures that you will be connected with only the best residential property surveyors throughout Cambridge.

Our Cambridge Chartered Surveyors

    As seen in: BT

    FAQs About Surveying in Cambridge

    Our team at Compare My Move have done the research so you can be prepared when it comes to arranging a survey for a property in Cambridge. Our data shows that our users in Cambridge most commonly opted for a RICS Level 2 Survey for a semi-detached property. 

    We also found that both Japanese Knotweed and subsidence concerns were both present in the area, however, the risks of both were far lower than larger cities. 

    Compare My Move’s data shows that the most popular survey type for our Cambridge users in a RICS Level 2 Survey, with 79% of people needing this survey. A huge 27% of people required a RICS Level 2 Survey for a semi-detached property in Cambridge and 23.26% had a RICS Level 2 Survey for a flat.

    Our data shows that RICS Level 3 Surveys are not required for most property in Cambridge, however the most popular property type that required a RICS Level 3 Survey is a terraced house. If the property you plan to buy was built over 80 years ago and has signs of cracking or subsidence, then you will need a RICS Level 3 Survey.

    As the RICS Level 2 Survey is the most popular type, it’s good to learn when you’ll need one. If the property was built less than 80 years and is in good condition, then a RICS Level 2 Survey will be more suited to you.

    Popular Survey Types in Cambridge
    Popular Survey Types in Cambridge

    What Types of Historical Architecture Does Cambridge Have?

    Cambridge is renowned for its breathtaking architecture, perhaps most of all for the esteemed University of Cambridge. The University buildings are worth a visit in their own right, from Senate House to Trinity College Great Court. There is plenty of architecture beyond the University walls, with the city being home to 67 Grade I listed buildings, 47 Grade II listed buildings and 17 conservation areas.

    Portugal Place is considered one of the prettiest streets in the city, linking Bridge Street and Jesus Green. These houses are mostly three-storey with bay windows and are highly sought after, with the average asking price for a property here at £447,321

    Property in Cambridge consists of a variety of different areas including Georgian, a mix of grand Victorian and Edwardian homes and terraced housing, 1930s semi homes and mid-century housing, sometimes based on popular Scandinavian designs of the 1960s.

    Although new build properties are being built in the city, many of the property sales are for existing properties and older homes.

    Architecture Overview From Listed Buildings to Sales of New Buildings
    Listed Buildings114
    Conservation Areas17
    New Build Sales*3
    Existing Property Sales*70

    *Based on data for 2023

    Is Subsidence an Issue in Cambridge?

    Subsidence occurs when there is a change in the condition of the ground beneath a property, causing it to “sink.” This can lead to devastating structural changes and problems in the foundations of the property.

    A map of subsidence issues created by Geobear has revealed that although the risk of subsidence is present in Cambridgeshire, the risk is far lower than larger cities in the UK such as Birmingham and London. However, the map does show Cambridge with one of the largest amounts of subsidence concerns in the greater area of Cambridgeshire, so a property survey would be highly recommended if you are purchasing a property here.

    Subsidence can be a serious concern for homeowners, from devaluing the property to resulting in an unsafe and uninhabitable home in worst cases. A property surveyor will be able to assess whether there is a risk of subsidence with regard to the property you are looking to purchase, allowing you to make an informed decision on the property prior to purchase.

    Cambridge subsidence map taken from Geobear's website
    Cambridge subsidence map taken from Geobear's website

    Is Japanese Knotweed a Concern in Cambridge?

    Japanese Knotweed was introduced to the UK in the 1840s as an ornamental plant, for Botanical Gardens such as Kew in London, and later sold commercially to households across the country. Today, Japanese Knotweed is considered a pest throughout the UK, with a reputation of being highly destructive and notoriously difficult to treat.

    Although cases of Japanese Knotweed are not as severe as many major cities and other parts of the country, the city Cambridge is the worst affected area in Cambridgeshire, with 15 infestations within 4km in the city centre alone.

    This unassuming plant can reduce the value of a property by up to 10% if found on the premises and some mortgage lenders will refuse a loan for a property where there is an infestation of the plant on the grounds. This is no surprise as Japanese Knotweed’s strong root system can damage the foundations and walls of properties.

    Organising a survey on a home prior to purchase is essential for discovering if the plant is a concern around your potential Cambridge home. Your surveyor will be able to tell you if it is present on the land or if it is sighted on neighbouring property.

    Cambridge Japanese Knotweed heatmap taken from Environet website
    Cambridge Japanese Knotweed heatmap taken from Environet website