Compare Chartered Building Surveyors in Islington

Enter your postcode to find a surveyor in Islington
RICS Regulated Property Surveyors
Helping Over 500,000 Movers in the UK
Helping over 500,000 movers in the UK
Making moves simple since 2012
Save up to 70% on the cost of moving

Moving House In Islington? Save Up To 70% On Your Surveying Costs

Looking for a surveyor in Islington? We can connect you with up to 5 RICS registered property surveyors, ensuring quality services to help with your property purchase.

With an average property price of £837,499, the London Borough of Islington is home to a variety of property types, ranging from large Victorian houses to 1-bedroom flats. If you’re buying one of Islington’s period properties, a building survey is highly recommended.

Whatever type of property you’re interested in, don’t underestimate the importance of a property survey when purchasing a new home. The report will highlight any obvious or hidden defects, possibly saving you a lot of money in the long run.

Every surveying partner that enters the Compare My Move network must go through our stringent verification process. This ensures you will only be matched with the best and most reliable property surveyors in Islington.

Our Islington Chartered Surveyors

    As seen in: BT

    FAQs About Surveying in Islington

    This useful guide will explain everything you need to know about property surveys in Islington. Our data discovered that around 70% of Compare My Move users require a homebuyer survey in this area, with the remaining 30% needing an extensive building survey. 

    We also found that Islington is a hotspot for both subsidence and Japanese Knotweed, highlighting the importance of a property survey. Hiring a local and reliable surveyor will provide you with added peace of mind and highlight any defects you should be aware of. 

    Our dedicated Compare My Move team have done all the essential research for you, discovering the most popular property surveys amongst our Islington movers. Our data revealed that the majority of Islington users required a homebuyers survey, with around 70% purchasing this survey type. The remaining 30% of movers required a building survey for their move instead.

    Most people required a homebuyers survey when purchasing a flat, with 45.71% of buyers purchasing this property type. Only 12.14% of users moving into flats required a building survey. This isn’t surprising as the homebuyers survey is the most common survey type and the most beneficial for flat owners. Flats and apartments are currently the most popular property types in Islington, explaining the reasoning behind the popularity of the homebuyers survey. Detached homes are much less common in this area, with 0% of our users purchasing this larger property type.

    When buying a property in Islington, don’t forget to hire a reliable property surveyor to carry out the inspection. If the home was built less than 80-years ago and is in relatively good condition, then a homebuyers survey will suffice. If the home is older or in poor condition, then a thorough building survey will be more beneficial.

    Popular Survey Types in Islington
    Popular Survey Types in Islington

    What Types of Historical Architecture Does Islington Have?

    There’s a range of property types varying in architectural history around Islington. There are a number of period homes with plenty of examples of Georgian and Victorian properties. There are also traditional Victorian terrace houses and villas located on Alwyne Road. If you love astounding Gothic detailing, then definitely check out the properties on Lonsdale Square in Barnsbury.

    There are also more modern blocks of flats and houses along Regent's Canal and Wenlock Canal. If you’re considering moving alone, then you can find a range of cosy 1-bedroom flats on City Road. If you decide to purchase one of the many flats in Islington, then a homebuyers survey will be most beneficial when inspecting the property. Larger family homes with gardens will be located around Essex Road and Queensbridge Road.

    There are 41 conservation areas in the Borough of Islington. If you’re purchasing a home located in or near a conservation area, you may face extra maintenance costs or restrictions on what you can do with the property. This is because ‘conservation area designation’ is a way of protecting these areas, ensuring that any new development is sensitive to their historic character. There are also over 4,500 listed buildings here which are buildings, objects or structures that have been judged to be of historic or architectural interest. Again, these will have restrictions and special protection should you move in.

    In Islington, many movers prefer ‘existing properties’, with approximately 128 sold in the area throughout October 2020, according to Land Registry data. Only 1 new-build home was sold during that same month. As older homes are more popular across the borough, it would be worth researching reliable property surveyors in the area to ensure they thoroughly examine the home for any and all defects.

    Architecture Overview From Listed Buildings to Sales of New Buildings
    Listed Buildings4,500
    Conservation Areas41
    New Build Sales*1
    Existing Property Sales*128

    *Based on data for October 2020

    Is Subsidence an Issue in Islington?

    Subsidence often occurs when the ground beneath a structure collapses, taking the foundations with it. It is a serious issue for many homeowners which is why it’s essential you hire a reliable property surveyor to inspect the building before you purchase it. Both a homebuyers survey and building survey will highlight any signs of subsidence, but if you already notice obvious signs such as large cracks, then a building survey will assess the situation thoroughly.

    Geobear’s UK subsidence map shows Islington and other areas in Central London as a medium to high risk of subsidence. The reason subsidence is often prevalent in bigger cities like London, is that the increased pressure from a large number of buildings in condensed areas is often too much for the ground below. If the ground begins to compact, the properties can start to sink. Rest assured, a property survey will highlight any risk of subsidence.

    Another factor that can increase the risk of a property sinking is the presence of clay soil. Extreme temperatures can make the soil shrink and crack causing the ground to become unstable. Like most areas in London, Islington has a high risk of clay soil, with a Hazard Level E warning. According to Geobear’s data, approximately 75% of UK ground subsidence cases are caused by soil shrinkage. If the property you’re interested in is located on top of cohesive soil, a property survey will be essential.

    When you’re ready to make an offer on a home in Islington, don’t forget to book a property survey. No matter what type of property you purchase, you will require a survey to highlight any defects or signs of subsidence. Selling a home with subsidence can be extremely difficult so it’s good to be informed before committing to the transaction.

    London subsidence map taken from Geobear's website
    London subsidence map taken from Geobear's website

    Is Japanese Knotweed a Concern in Islington?

    Japanese Knotweed is a homeowner’s worst nightmare. It is a dangerous plant that spreads rapidly and can seriously damage a building. If left untreated, Japanese Knotweed can greatly devalue a home, forcing its way through drains and even concrete. The weed is notoriously difficult to remove so it’s advised you hire a professional should you find an infestation.

    Central London is often seen as a hotspot for Japanese Knotweed. As you can see on Environet’s Heatmap, Islington suffers from around 141 reported occurrences in one postcode alone. The area’s proximity to London poses a fair threat as there are a high number of infestations throughout, highlighting the necessity of a property survey.

    When buying a new home in Islington, it’s vital you organise a property survey to ensure the building is fully examined. The report will flag the presence or risk of Japanese Knotweed and ensure you’re fully informed before completing the purchase.

    If the report highlights the presence of this dangerous weed, then you should contact your local authority immediately for further advice. Do not attempt to remove the plant yourself as it could cause more damage.

    Islington Japanese Knotweed heatmap taken from Environet website
    Islington Japanese Knotweed heatmap taken from Environet website