Compare & Save on Conveyancing Solicitors

Speak to accredited Conveyancers & save today!

Compare My Move Fact-Checking Standards

The Compare My Move team follows strict guidelines to ensure that every piece of content is accurate, trust-worthy and adheres to the highest standard of quality. Each article is expertly reviewed by members of our author panel before being published to promote accurate and quality content.

All Compare My Move articles adhere to the following standards:

  • Expertly reviewed - Our articles are reviewed by an industry expert with in-depth knowledge and experience of the article topic.
  • Data supported - All statistics, research and data must link or reference to the original source.
  • Accuracy - All research and data are taken from high-quality, trustworthy and authoritative sources.
  • Quality checked - Our content writers ensure every Compare My Move article is written to the highest of standard.

TA10 Fittings and Fixtures Form Explained

Zenyx Griffiths

Written by

10th May 2021 (Last updated on 26th Jul 2021) 7 minute read

The TA10 Fittings and Fixtures Form (or the Fittings and Contents Form) will clearly outline what is and is not included in the property sale. The seller will be required by law to complete this form to stipulate exactly what fixtures and fittings will be included in the contract. It should clearly explain what will be included in the property price but also what the seller is willing to leave but won’t include in the price.

The TA10 Form must be completed by the seller with the help of their conveyancing solicitor. It’s highly recommended to ensure the list is clear, concise and easy to understand to help avoid any potential problems. The seller must also complete the TA6 Property Information Form and the TA7 Leasehold Information Form if the property is leasehold.

Compare My Move works alongside a number of property and finance experts to create informative and insightful guides that will help you through the buying and selling process. In this article, we will clearly explain what the TA10 Fittings and Fixtures Form is, how it works and what should be included within it.

This article will cover the following:
  1. What Are Fixtures and Fittings?
  2. How Does the TA10 Fittings and Fixtures Form Work?
  3. How Do You Complete the TA10 Form?
  4. What is Included in the TA10 Fittings and Fixtures Form?
  5. Can You Negotiate the Fixtures and Fittings?
  6. What Are the Other Forms Required in Conveyancing?
  7. Learn More About Conveyancing

What Are Fixtures and Fittings?

Before understanding exactly how the TA10 Form works, it’s vital you understand what fixtures and fittings are, as well as the differences between the two.

As the name suggests, fixtures are items that are ‘fixed’ to a property. This can include a fitted kitchen, tiled flooring, fitted wardrobes and more. Most fixtures are assumed to be included in the purchase price but there is still a chance the seller could decide to move them to the new home. If this occurs, it must be clearly stated in the TA10 Form.

Fixtures that are removable or ‘chattels’ are not subject to Stamp Duty Land Tax. However, fixtures securely attached to the property may be taxed.

Fittings are items that are not permanently fixed in the home. This includes items such as curtains, wall art, shelving, mirrors, freestanding furniture and loose rugs. Garden ornaments and furniture is often included in the fittings list also. Whilst fixtures are included in the purchase price, fittings are not. If the buyer wants to purchase any fittings, they will need to pay the seller separately.

Compare Local Conveyancers

Speak to Accredited Conveyancers & Save Today!

How Does the TA10 Fittings and Fixtures Form Work?

The Fittings and Fixtures Form will outline exactly what is included and excluded from the property sale. It will become part of the final contract and will be legally binding once the contracts are exchanged. It should include a clear list of the fittings and contents within the property, such as curtains, flooring, furniture, and will state which of these items will be left in the home upon completion.

Again, it’s important to highlight that once the contracts have been exchanged, this form becomes legally binding. If the seller takes any items that should’ve been left on the property, they will be in breach of contract. If the buyer notices any items are missing, they must immediately contact their conveyancer who will then attempt to have them returned.

The buyer can take legal action against the seller should they not comply. In very serious cases, the buyer may also have the option of cancelling the sale altogether.

How Do You Complete the TA10 Form?

The seller’s conveyancer will provide them with the TA10 Fittings and Fixtures Form and help them successfully complete it. There are 11 sections to be filled out, all stating what will be included in the sale. It will be presented in a simple format where the seller has to tick the appropriate boxes.

If there are any items the seller is willing to sell separately, they can also include the price next to it. The buyer can then agree or negotiate the price or even request it’s removed if they don’t want it on completion. The buyer has the right to request the removal of any fixtures or fittings as the seller cannot leave everything they choose.

Before you try to complete the form, it would be wise to research a range of TA10 Form templates to help you visually. The Law Society Fittings and Contents Form is a great template to start with.

What is Included in the TA10 Fittings and Fixtures Form?

As stated previously, there are a total of 11 sections included in the TA10 Fittings and Fixtures Form. When the seller is completing the form, they can tick whether the item is fitted or freestanding and whether it is included or excluded from the sale. There will also be the option of stating whether the item is no longer on the property.

The sections of the Fittings and Fixtures Form are as follows:

1. Basic Fittings - This includes boilers and central heating systems, fires, light switches, electrical sockets, insulation, window fittings, internal and external doors and alarms.

2. Kitchen - All kitchen appliances will be included in this section, such as the oven, fridge, dishwasher, extractor fan and washing machines. These will generally be white goods.

3. Bathroom - Items include the bath and taps, shower and fittings, towel rails, mirrors, cabinets and even toilet roll holders.

4. Carpets - This section will state which rooms contain fitted carpets and whether they will be left during the sale.

5. Curtain and Curtain Rails - These details will include which rooms contain curtains, curtain rails, poles or blinds and what will be left after the sale.

6. Light Fittings - Here, the seller must explain whether any of the light fittings will be removed or left behind. This includes lampshades and ornamental style lighting. If the seller removes a light fitting, it must be replaced with a bulb, bulb holder or ceiling rose to ensure a safe environment for the buyer.

7. Fitted Units - This includes fitted cupboards, wardrobes and shelves in every room.

8. Outdoor Area - This section covers the garden or balcony, any outdoor furniture or sheds, ornaments, plants, trees and bins. It will even include any clothing lines on the property.

9. Television and Phone - Any and all telephone receivers, TVs, satellite dishes and aerials must be noted here.

10. Stock of Fuel - This section will only apply to homes that contain a fuel-burning appliance, such as a log burner. The seller must state whether there will be fuel included in the sale, such as wood or oil.

11. Other Items - The final section will act as space for the seller to add any notes or miscellaneous items they haven’t previously mentioned.

Compare Local Conveyancers

Speak to Accredited Conveyancers & Save Today!

Can You Negotiate the Fixtures and Fittings?

It is possible to negotiate the fixtures and fittings during a sale. For example, if the buyer wants to reduce the asking price but the seller does not, they may come to an agreement where all white goods are left behind instead. This can also be reversed.

If the seller believes the buyer’s offer is too low, then they may include additional fixtures and fittings in the sale to encourage a higher offer. Anything agreed and signed in the contract must be adhered to as it is legally binding after the exchange.

When negotiating during a property sale, it’s essential that all demands are clear and concise to avoid any miscommunication. All parties involved should be polite and approachable to encourage an acceptable agreement for all. Whether you’re the buyer or seller, it’s important to be reasonable when explaining your decisions.

What Are the Other Forms Required in Conveyancing?

When selling a property, the TA10 Fittings and Fixtures Form is not the only document that will need to be completed by the seller. There are a number of forms that your conveyancer will help you complete and sign, such as the TR1 form. Some of the most vital forms include:

The TA6 Property Information Form

The TA6 Property Information Form is required for every purchase and will provide the buyer with detailed information concerning the property. The form will include a variety of vital information, including legal concepts that may need an additional explanation from your conveyancer.

The TA6 Form will cover issues such as boundaries, notices and proposals, alterations, warranties, environmental matters, parking and occupiers.

The TA7 Leasehold Information Form

If the home for sale is a leasehold property, then the seller will also have to complete the TA7 Leasehold Information Form alongside the TA6 Form. The seller will also be required to get their Freeholder or Managing Agent to complete an LPE1 Form, also known as the Leasehold Information Pack.

The TA7 Form will address all leasehold information including complaints, contact details, property information, relevant documents, maintenance and service charges, consents, alterations and notices.

Learn More About Conveyancing

This is part of our conveyancing guide. Next, we take a look at what a flying freehold is. To learn more, read what is a flying freehold.

Zenyx Griffiths

Before Compare My Move, Zenyx once wrote lifestyle and entertainment articles for the online magazine, Society19 as well as news articles for Ffotogallery.

Compare and Save on Your Move

Save 70% off the Cost of Your House Move Today!

Rated ‘Excellent’ on