Guide to Surveying

About this guide

Property surveys are vital when it comes to choosing a house. When you're buying a house, you’ll need to hire a chartered surveyor to organise a house survey and present you with a report on the property’s condition. Compare My Move have created this guide on surveying to bring you everything you need to know.

Regardless of what survey you choose, you will need your surveyor to be RICS regulated. RICS is the regulatory body for chartered surveyors and will mean they are fully qualified and trusted. We take a look at what is RICS to help you spot a reliable surveyor. 

Surveying can seem daunting, especially if you're buying your first home. Our surveying guide will explore what is a chartered surveyor to ensure you're fully prepared for the service and process of having a property survey. 

Once you understand the process and the importance of having a property survey, you'll need to decide which survey is best for you. Our article on what type of survey do I need will explore each property survey option and highlight which property type it is best suited to. 

After you've learnt the best survey type, it's time to hire a property surveyor. There are certain accreditations and factors to look for when hiring a surveyor, we include them throughout our surveying guide, especially in our article on how to find a surveyor.

By having all the important information in one place, with a focus on RICS, what is a chartered surveyor, the best survey for you and hiring a surveyor, you will be fully prepared. After reading through the complete guide, we hope you’ll feel confident about what to expect when having a property survey.