Compare Homebuyer Surveys in Bromley

Save up to 70% off your surveying costs
Regulated Property Surveyors
Used by over 1 million movers in the UK
Used by over 1 million movers in the UK
Helping people save for over 10 years
Save up to 70% on the cost of moving

Moving House In Bromley? Save Up To 70% On Your RICS Level 2 Survey

Looking to arrange a property survey in Bromley? We’ve helped over 800 home buyers find a RICS registered surveyor in this part of London over the past year.

With an average property price of ££551,034, Bromley is home to a variety of property types including traditional Victorian houses, Edwardian detached homes and modern converted flats. No matter what property type your new home is, don’t forget to compare surveying quotes to ensure you find the most reliable property surveyor to assess your house. Modern homes will be suited to a RICS Level 2 Survey, but the period homes found throughout Bromley are better suited to the more thorough RICS Level 3 Survey.

We can connect you with up to 6 RICS registered surveyors in London who have all gone through our strict verification process. This ensures you are only matched with the best surveyors in the area.

Our Bromley Chartered Surveyors

    As seen in: BT

    FAQs About Surveying in Bromley

    Our Compare My Move team have worked hard to create this guide, explaining all you need to know about surveying in Bromley. Our data found that around 60% of our users organised a RICS Level 2 Survey, whilst only 39% chose to organise a more thorough RICS Level 3 Survey.

    Our research also discovered that Bromley is a hotspot for subsidence, increasing the need for a property survey. Japanese Knotweed is also a concern for homeowners within the area. By hiring a reliable property surveyor, you should be warned of these issues in advance. 

    Our data found that approximately 60% of our Compare My Move users used our service to hire a property surveyor to conduct a RICS Level 2 Survey. This is the most commonly used property survey and will give buyers an overview of the condition of the house. However, the report will not be as thorough as the RICS Level 3 Survey as this will also assess the property’s structure.

    Despite the high risk of subsidence in the area, only around 39% of users opted to have a RICS Level 3 Survey conducted. Properties over 80 years old, those made of unconventional materials, have obvious signs of subsidence or that have previously had extensive work done, should all have a RICS Level 3 Survey conducted rather than a RICS Level 2 Survey.

    The risk of not having the correct survey on your potential home is that potential issues and expensive repairs could be required further down the line. Many of these may have easily been avoided if a RICS Level 3 Survey had taken place prior to purchase to assess the overall condition of the property. Terrace houses saw the highest number of both the RICS Level 2 Survey (19.14%) and RICS Level 3 Survey (18.52%) being conducted, according to our Bromley data.

    Unsurprisingly, flats had the least amount of RICS Level 3 Surveys conducted in Bromley, with only 4.32%. Detached homes saw 11.73% of users requiring a RICS Level 2 Survey whilst 17.28% of semi-detached owners had the same survey type. Terrace houses had the highest percentage of users requiring a RICS Level 3 Survey with detached homeowners coming in second with 8.64%.

    Popular Survey Types in Bromley
    Popular Survey Types in Bromley

    What Types of Historical Architecture Does Bromley Have?

    As Bromley saw rapid growth in the mid-19th century, the majority of housing is made up of Victorian and Edwardian homes as well as more modern houses and flats. Bickley also has a number of Tudor properties whilst Ringers Road has a selection of shared ownership opportunities.

    From spacious detached Edwardian houses to modern flats and apartments, there are plenty of property types to view in this South London suburb. It’s important to note that if you’re considering purchasing converted or older properties, you will require a RICS Level 3 Survey to thoroughly assess the building’s structure. For newer houses or flats, a RICS Level 2 Survey will suffice.

    In the London Borough of Bromley, there are currently 413 listed buildings, many of which are classed as Grade I or Grade II*. If you’re purchasing a listed building, you will require a specialist surveyor to conduct a Listed Building Survey. There are also 45 conservation areas in Bromley, all of which you can find on the local council’s Conservation Areas and Listed Buildings Map.

    The sale of ‘existing properties’ far exceeded those of new builds in Bromley. For users buying older properties, it’s recommended that you organise a RICS Level 3 Survey to provide a more in-depth examination.

    Architecture Overview From Listed Buildings to Sales of New Buildings
    Listed Buildings413
    Conservation Areas45
    New Build Sales*24
    Existing Property Sales*331

    *Based on data for 2023

    Is Subsidence an Issue in Bromley?

    When the ground beneath a property collapses or shrinks, subsidence can occur causing the building to sink. It can be a very serious problem for homeowners which is why it’s so important to hire a reliable surveyor to conduct a property survey. Both the RICS Level 2 and 3 Survey will detect signs of subsidence. However, if there are already obvious signs, such as large cracks around windows and door frames, then a RICS Level 3 Survey will be more suitable as it’ll assess the property’s foundations in depth.

    As you can see on Geobear’s UK Subsidence Map, Bromley is a high-risk area for subsidence, especially streets nearest to London. Larger cities like London often experience increased weight and pressure on the ground due to there being so many buildings tightly packed into condensed areas. This then weakens and dries out the soil causing ground instability and issues such as subsidence. Your property survey should highlight if your home is at risk.

    Another cause of subsidence is the shrinking of clay soil. Hot weather and constant renovations can make certain clay soils shrink and crack, causing the ground to become unstable. According to Geobear, 75% of UK ground subsidence cases are caused by soil shrinkage. Bromley has been labelled as a Hazard Level D (close to Hazard Level E), meaning the clay soil is prone to shrinking and swelling, increasing the risk of subsidence.

    When you’ve found the perfect Bromley home for you, don’t forget to compare surveying quotes to find a RICS registered surveyor to examine your property. The survey will highlight any signs of subsidence or ground instability, allowing you to be more informed before completing the transaction.

    Bristol subsidence map taken from Geobear's website
    Bristol subsidence map taken from Geobear's website

    Is Japanese Knotweed a Concern in Bromley?

    Japanese Knotweed is often a dreaded term for many homeowners. It’s a dangerous plant that can grow as much as 10-20cm a day, forcing its way through walls, concrete and drains. It can cause a lot of damage to your property and, if untreated, can decrease the value of your home when you eventually sell. It’s advised that you hire a professional to remove the invasive plant as treating it yourself can cause further damage.

    As you can see on the Environet’s Japanese Knotweed heatmap, Bromley town is labelled as a ‘hotspot’ for the plant, with locations closest to London having the biggest infestations. There are 49 known occurrences within 4km of the BR1 1AJ postcode alone and over 156 occurrences the closer you get to Croydon. This is unsurprising as London itself is labelled as having a major infestation.

    When buying a new home in Bromley, you’ll need a property survey to inspect both the interior and exterior of the property. If the property you’re viewing is older than 80-years then a RICS Level 3 Survey will be best suited as it provides a more thorough inspection. A RICS Level 2 Survey will suffice for younger properties and should also detect signs of Japanese Knotweed.

    If the results of the survey indicate signs of the plant on the property, you should discuss the next steps with your surveyor and contact your local authority for advice. Do not attempt to remove the plant yourself as it will likely cause further damage to the house.

    Bromley Japanese Knotweed heatmap taken from Environet website
    Bromley Japanese Knotweed heatmap taken from Environet website