About this guide
There are a lot of factors to consider when selling a property, from deciding an asking price to finding an estate agent. Compare My Move’s team of property experts and writers have created this in-depth selling guide to ensure you’re fully prepared for each step of the house selling process.
The most important step before you list your house with an estate agent is understanding how the process of selling a house works. You should take time to get your finances in place and contact your mortgage lender to learn your options. Our guide begins with a breakdown of the selling process, from having your property valued to negotiating an offer.
Many people underestimate the costs involved with selling a house, often facing unexpected bills throughout. It costs £5,542 to sell an average 3-bedroom house costing £235,673. Throughout our selling guide, we explore the true costs of selling a house, from estate agents fees to EPC costs, we cover everything to help you create a budget.
The timescale for selling a house can vary depending on a number of factors such as if you’re in a property chain or not, but normally takes 2-6 months for the average seller. From how to avoid any delays, to putting your house on the market, we will explore the average time it takes to sell a house.
Once you have a clear idea of the selling process, your budget and timeline, now you can begin to look at how much your house is worth. Generally, sellers can expect to get between 95% and 99% of their asking price. We explore in-depth how to set the value of your home, from how accurate are online valuations to what happens if your house is worth less than expected.
By having all the important information in one place, with a focus on the house selling process, the cost of selling, the time it takes to sell a house and how to value your house, you will be fully prepared. Once you’ve completed this guide, we hope you’ll feel confident about what to expect when selling a house.
- Selling a house needn’t be complicated. In our step-by-step guide on selling your house, we’ll break down the process into simple points and explain each step in detail.Read this article
- When it comes to selling a house in Scotland, there are some variations and differences throughout the process to the rest of the UK. From the Home Report to Missives, this guide will prepare you for putting your home on the market and accepting an offer.Read this article
- The total cost of selling a UK house in 2021 is £5,723. This includes solicitor fees, estate agent fees, EPC costs, porting a mortgage costs and capital gains tax.Read this article
- The average cost of selling a house in Scotland is £5,938, based on the average house price in Scotland of £177,166. This includes the estate agent and solicitor fees, the cost of a Home Report and removal company costs.Read this article
- On average, it can take between 2-6 months to sell a house depending on your personal circumstances. Compare My Move has created this guide to outline the steps involved with selling a house to provide you with a basic timeline of the process.Read this article
- Our guide covers setting an asking price, maximising your home’s selling potential and preparing you to take the first steps towards selling your home.Read this article
- The best time to sell a house is June, July, August and September as it takes just 62 days on average to sell. The time it takes to sell your house will vary depending on location, property type and circumstances.Read this article
- Buying or selling a house can be an exciting yet challenging task. Unless you are a first-time buyer, it is common for homeowners to sell and buy at the same time, ensuring you become part of a property chain.Read this article
- Preparing for a house sale can be daunting. But with our guide on how to prepare your property for a sale, you’ll be given the correct steps to get started.Read this article
- Whether you’re selling your property or buying a new one, online property portals like Rightmove or Zoopla can be a great way to speed up the process.Read this article
- Porting a mortgage is when you sell a property, repay your existing mortgage and then resume it on the same terms after you move to your next property.Read this article
- This guide will review all aspects of choosing an estate agent and provide you with the information you need to find the right estate agent for your house sale.Read this article
- Asking your estate agent the right questions can help make the selling process a lot easier. We list 15 important questions to ask estate agents when selling your house.Read this article
- Selling a house comes with many costs. This guide will explore the estate agent fees for selling.Read this article
- Selling a house involves a lot of paperwork. This includes certificates and documents you need to show your solicitor or estate agent, and forms and paperwork that your buyer will ask for.Read this article
- Looking at online estate agents, conveyancing, valuations and marketing, this guide will cover the steps you need to take to sell your property online.Read this article
- We understand that working through a divorce is an extremely difficult and emotional time. That is why we wanted to create this article to help you prepare for the process of selling a house after a divorce.Read this article
- A memorandum of sale is written confirmation detailing the essential aspects of a property transaction. It is used to record that a sale of a residential property has been agreed between a seller and a buyer subject to contract.Read this article
- A key part of all house transactions since 2008, Compare My Move explain the Energy Performance Certificate: how the EPC rating works, how much it costs, and whose responsibility it is.Read this article
- A FENSA certificate is a common way for door and window installers to prove that their work and products are up to standard.Read this article
- It can be stressful when your house isn’t selling. However, there are steps to take to help you appeal to buyers and successfully sell your property.Read this article
- A quick house sale company will offer to purchase your property at a discounted price and claim to make a quicker sale compared to traditional methods.Read this article
- From deciding whether your home is suitable for an auction house, to reviewing the process and fees, this guide will prepare you for selling a house at auction.Read this article
- When a person dies, the legal process under which their estate is managed is known as probate. Selling a probate property involves a number of legal factors and additional costs.Read this article
- Receiving an offer can be exciting. However, it’s important to know how to negotiate a house price when selling your property.Read this article
- Accepting an offer on your house is exciting but can be daunting. We're here to talk through things to consider when accepting an offer on your house.Read this article
- Sold ‘Subject to Contract’ (STC) means an offer has been agreed upon by a buyer and seller but isn’t legally binding as the contracts haven’t been signed.Read this article
- Gazundering is when a buyer lowers their offer just before contracts are exchanged, leaving the seller in a difficult position.Read this article
- You should first discuss your complaint directly with your estate agent before contacting the appropriate body.Read this article