About this guide
Buying a house can seem daunting, especially if it’s your first, but if you’re prepared it will be a lot easier. From doing your initial research to learning what happens on completion day, every stage is just as vital as the next. We’ve created an in-depth buying guide to ensure you’re familiar with each step of the house-buying process.
When you’re buying a house, unexpected costs will crop up. Many people are unaware of hidden costs and forget to factor these into their budget. It costs £33,070 to buy a home based on the average UK house price of £277,000. Throughout our buying guide, we explore the true costs of buying a house, from the typical upfront fees to the on-going costs, we cover everything for you to budget realistically.
By having all the important information in one place, with a focus on the house buying process, the cost of buying, the time it takes to buy a house and choosing an area to live, you will be fully prepared. After reading through the complete guide, we hope you’ll feel confident about what to expect when buying a house.
- Learn the 23 steps in the moving house timeline process.Read this article
- The cost of buying a house has many fees attached, from conveyancing to removals. The average cost of buying a house in the UK is £33,070Read this article
- The solicitor fees for buying a house can vary depending on a range of factors. Compare My Move can help you find affordable conveyancing to help you save money while moving.Read this article
- Deciding where to live is a key aspect of buying a property. Our guide reviews the crucial factors, such as crime rates and affordability, to help you choose where to buy.Read this article
- Compare My Move explore all you need to know about Stamp Duty across the UK, including how much it costs, how you pay it, and who's exempt.Read this article
- It takes around 6 months to buy a house. From 12 weeks to 6 months, every buyer has a different experience and this guide explains the average timeline for buying a house.Read this article
- If you have any doubts when buying a house, then preparing a list of questions to ask during the process will help you get more information.Read this article
- House hunting shouldn't be a struggle and with Compare My Move's ultimate house viewing checklist, you'll be ready to explore your dream home in no time. Ease yourself into the process with our list of important questions you should be asking to get the most out of your viewing experience.Read this article
- Making an offer on a house can be a daunting, but by doing your research and presenting yourself as a serious buyer, you’ll have more of a chance of getting your offer accepted.Read this article
- With Compare My Move’s handy guide, you’ll know exactly what to do once your offer has been accepted on a house and how to start the buying process.Read this article
- Gazumping is when a buyer who has had an offer accepted is then pushed out of the sale due to the seller accepting a different offer from someone else. Compare My Move will go through everything you need to know about being gazumped and, more importantly, how to avoid it.Read this article
- The completion day can be a complicated and stressful event, so it's vital to be prepared. This guide will explain what happens on the day of completion as well as help you build a brief timeline of what to expect.Read this article