Compare & save on International Removals

Save 70% off the cost of your house move today!

Compare My Move Fact-Checking Standards

The Compare My Move team follows strict guidelines to ensure that every piece of content is accurate, trust-worthy and adheres to the highest standard of quality. Each article is expertly reviewed by members of our author panel before being published to promote accurate and quality content.

All Compare My Move articles adhere to the following standards:

  • Expertly reviewed - Our articles are reviewed by an industry expert with in-depth knowledge and experience of the article topic.
  • Data supported - All statistics, research and data must link or reference to the original source.
  • Accuracy - All research and data are taken from high-quality, trustworthy and authoritative sources.
  • Quality checked - Our content writers ensure every Compare My Move article is written to the highest of standard.

Moving to Spain after Brexit

Ashleigh Williams

Written by Reviewed by Dave Sayce

27th Feb 2023 (Last updated on 29th Mar 2023) 8 minute read

It's still possible to move from the UK to Spain after Brexit.

Due to the end of the transition period in December 2020, the moving procedure has become more thorough than it was pre-Brexit.

The application process now takes longer to complete in comparison to when British people could move to Spain with no visa or residency permit.

This article discusses everything you need to know before booking your removals to Spain, and how the process has changed post-Brexit.

This article will cover the following:
  1. Proceedures for Moving from the UK to Spain after Brexit
  2. Documents Needed For Visa Application
  3. What Can Affect Your Visa Application?
  4. Moving for Employment Purposes
  5. Moving Unemployed
  6. Moving as a Student
  7. Moving For Family Reunification
  8. Searching For a House
  9. Applying For Permanant Residency
  10. Removals to Spain from the UK

Proceedures for Moving from the UK to Spain after Brexit

In December 2020, the Brexit transition period and the withdrawal agreement period ended, meaning the previously free movement of people from the UK to Spain is prohibited.

There are now stricter regulations in place for UK nationals looking to visit Spain on a long or short-term basis. While the process is longer and requires more steps, it's still straightforward to complete.

Short-Term Visits

If you're looking to visit Spain on a short-term basis before moving permanently, you may not need to apply for a visa.

British people can visit any country in the Schengen region (including Spain) for up to 90 days in a 180-day period without the need for a visa.

However, from May 2023, new legislation will come into force. Anyone travelling to Spain from the UK will need to complete an ETIAS visa waiver before travelling. This will cost €7.

Long-Term Visas

If you're looking to stay in Spain on a long-term basis, you will be required to apply for a Spanish visa. The type of visa you apply for will vary depending on the purpose of your stay.

You will need to apply for the visa well in advance of your journey. It's recommended to apply for a Spanish visa around 3 months before you move to ensure the application is complete in time.

Visa fees will need to be paid during the application process and will vary based on the type of visa you are applying for and current exchange rates. Use the GOV.UK website to calculate the visa application fees.

The Schengen visa eligibility checker provides details on whether you can apply for a Spanish visa. For the latest information and requirements, check the Spanish Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación website.

All visas need to be renewed every 2 years to remain valid. This applies until you are eligible for permanent residency in Spain.

Here is the long-term visa application form.

Biometric Residence Card

Once you receive your relevant visa, you will then be given a Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE). This is a biometric residence card.

This card is important as it confirms that you can legally live and study in Spain.

Compare International Removals

Save up to 70% on Removal Costs

Documents Needed For Visa Application

You will need to apply for a Spanish visa through the Spanish Consulate in London. You will be required to fill out the relevant visa application forms and provide all the relevant supporting documents at your appointment.

These documents include, but are not limited to:

  • Valid passport
  • Criminal record checks (5 years worth of clean records)
  • Supporting documents to display you meet the visa requirements
  • Medical certificate
  • Proof of financial stability
  • Health insurance
  • Residence permit (for long-term residency visas)
  • Standard photos
  • Passport photo

You will need to email to book an appointment at the Spanish Consulate for the visa application.

    What Can Affect Your Visa Application?

    If you fill out your visa application incorrectly, this can cause delays and your application may be rejected. It's important to ensure you have submitted the correct information and supporting documents to prevent this.

    Other factors that can prevent your visa from being accepted include:

    • Not having a clean criminal record
    • If you are currently or have previously been banned from entering Spain
    • If you are not going to be based in Spain regularly

    Compare International Removals

    Save up to 70% on Removal Costs

    Moving for Employment Purposes

    The application process will vary based on the type of employment status you have.

    Moving to Join a Spanish Organisation

    If you're moving to Spain to join a Spanish company, it's the employer's responsibility to ensure that you have a valid Spanish work permit.

    They will request all of the relevant documentation needed and will submit the application on your behalf. This application is sent to the elegación Provincial del Ministerio de Trabajo e Inmigración (Ministry of Labor).

    The process is fairly long. It can take up to 8 months to complete, so it's important this is completed well in advance.

    A copy of the application will need to be sent to the Spanish Embassy in the UK too.

    Employed by a Company Based Outside of Spain

    If you're part of a company already that's not Spanish, you will need to submit proof of your employment contract and payslips.

    This is to ensure you have a stable job and an income to support your move to Spain.

    A permiso de residencia no lucrative (non-profit visa) is needed in this instance.

    Self-Employed Workers

    If you're self-employed, the application process requires additional supporting documents. You will need to declare you're self-employed and submit the following to apply for a self-employed visa:

    • A clear business plan that passes Spanish approval checks
    • The relevant qualifications for your position
    • Proof your business is legal in Spain
    • Details of your funds and any investments
    • Be 18 years or older
    • Medical certificate
    • Private health insurance

    Moving Unemployed

    There are a number of reasons why people move to Spain while unemployed. This includes if they are retired or have the means to be self-sufficient.

    The relevant application an unemployed person needs is a permiso de residencia no lucrativa (non-lucrative visa). You will need to provide the following information:

    • Proof of funds to support living costs
    • Proof of a steady bank account

    Moving as a Student

    To study in Spain, you will need a student visa. To apply for this visa, you will need to submit the following documents:

    • Registration at the selected university or college
    • Private health insurance
    • Proof of your accommodation
    • Financal proof you can afford to live in Spain for the duration of the stay

    Moving For Family Reunification

    If you have direct family members living in Spain currently, you can apply to join them through family reunification.

    Family reunification covers spouses, children, parents and parents-in-law.

    To be eligible for family reunification, the person living in Spain will need to have renewed their Spanish residence permit once at the least.

    Compare International Removals

    Save up to 70% on Removal Costs

    Searching For a House

    It's useful to have an idea of the property market in Spain while you are going through the application process. This will provide you with a better idea of the areas you may want to live and the property prices.

    Buying a property in Spain is particularly affordable, especially when compared to the UK. The Spanish property market is also known for its low mortgage rates. However, it's a competitive market, so you will need to be quick if you're interested in a specific property.

    Affordable places to live in Spain include Gran Canaria, Alicante, Seville and Valencia. Barcelona and Madrid are more expensive as they’re the most popular cities to live in. Other popular areas are Costa del Sol, Costa Blanca, and Catalonia.

    For more information, read Best Places to Live in Spain.

    Applying For Permanant Residency

    You can apply for permanent residency in Spain after Brexit through either a long-term residence permit, or Spanish citizenship.

    EU Long-Term Residency for UK Citizens (Post-Brexit)

    If you want to keep your UK Citizenship but continue living Spain on a long-term basis, you can apply for a permiso de residencia de larga duración. This is an EU Long-Term Residence Permit and can be applied for after you have lived in Spain for 5 years uninterrupted.

    A residence permit allows you to work in Spain and provides you with access to benefits such as the Sistema Nacional de Salud (SNS). This is their national healthcare system.

    To gain access to EU long-term residency, you will need to meet the following criteria:

    • Valid passport
    • Legal residence in Spain Documentation (this includes rental proof)
    • Clear criminal record
    • Certificado medico (medical certificate)

    Spanish Citizenship for UK Citizens (Post-Brexit)

    After living in Spain for 10 years, a UK citizen can apply for Spanish Citizenship. This allows a person a number of benefits, such as:

    • The freedom to travel within the EU without any restrictions
    • A Spanish passport
    • Free movement across the EU
    • The ability to vote
    • Access to certain benefits the UK had pre-Brexit, such as a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

    It's worth noting that if you want to gain Spanish citizenship, you will need to forefit your current UK citizenship. Dual nationanities with the UK is not currently recognised in Spain.

    The criteria you need to meet and information you require in the application include:

    • Clear criminal record
    • Ability to Speak Spanish
    • To be a part of Spanish culture and social activities
    • 10 years of residency in Spain
    • Spanish citizenship form
    • Your current passport
    • 3 photographs

    For more information visit the Spanish Ministry of Justice website.

    Removals to Spain from the UK

    When moving to Spain after Brexit, it's important to be aware of international removal costs.

    Our international removal costs research displays that it will cost £3,015 on average to ship household goods to Spain.

    If you need additional services such as packing, this will be charged at an extra cost. On average, it will cost £250 for packing services.

    It's important to remember that the cost of shipping to Spain will vary based on factors such as the type of shipping used, shipping times and the weight of your goods.

    Compare My Move understands the importance of choosing a removals company that’s trusted and reliable. We can connect you with up to 6 of our verified international removal partners.

    Compare International Removals

    Save up to 70% on Removal Costs

    Ashleigh Williams

    Having written book reviews and content for For The Love of Books for over five years, Ashleigh now creates advice articles for Compare My Move, focusing on all things home-related.

    Dave Sayce

    Reviewed by Dave Sayce

    Owner & Managing Director, Compare My Move

    Dave Sayce is the owner and managing director of Compare My Move and has over 10 years of experience in the house removals industry.

    Compare and Save on Your Move

    Save 70% off the Cost of Your House Move Today!